The Kentucky Christian University women’s basketball team was on the road for a game with the Mountaineers of Berea College (19-4).

When the dust had settled, it took four overtimes to determine the winner of a game that had it been played on ESPN would have instantly been deemed an “Instant Classic.”

Berea took an eight-point lead into the locker room at half-time only to see the Lady Knights consistently chip away at that lead during the third and fourth quarters.

Following a missed Mountaineer free throw with 25 seconds remaining and Berea up 69-71, Jordan Holt grabbed the rebound and a :30 timeout was called. Coming out of the timeout, KCU worked the ball around and got an errant 3-pt attempt by Shelby Slone with :04 remaining only to see Sydney Foster grab the rebound as the buzzer sounded putting the game in overtime.

BC scored the first five points of the period and looked to have things well in hand with 1:29 left to go but a 3-pt basket by Lexie Gilliland got the Lady Knights back to a one-possession game. After a flurry of missed attempts by BC, Gilliland blocked a shot, secured the rebound and got the ball to Foster for a layup and a 76-76 tie. Again, Holt grabbed a defensive rebound as the clock was running down but KCU was unable to get a shot off with just :01 second remaining. On to overtime No. 2.

The two teams exchanged baskets early in the period and the Lady Knights battled their way to a three-point lead following two free throws by Holt with just :18 left. But the Mountaineers weren’t ready to call it quits as Bethanie Williams drilled a 3-pointer with :06 remaining to tie the game at 85 and though both teams would possess the ball in those final seconds, neither could hit a bucket. OT No. 3.

The entire third overtime period was constant back-forth scoring until a Berea free throw tied things up once again with :25 remaining. KCU called a timeout to set up what they hoped would be a winning shot as time expired but it was not to be as Slone’s shot missed as time ran out.

Overtime No. 4 belonged to Berea as the jumped out to a eight-point lead in a little over two minutes of what turned out to be the decisive period. Kentucky Christian could not recover and lost 97-106.

Four Lady Knights scored 20-points or more during the game, led by Foster’s 28 and closely followed by Gilliland’s 26. Slone chipped in 21 and Holt tallied 20 as those four played 52+ minutes each in the game of the season.

The Lady Knights are off until Feb 16 as they travel to Alice Lloyd College for their final game of the season. The game will be part of a Lady Knights/Knights doubleheader and will tip at 1 p.m.

This Week's Circulars