The CRISIS component of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) will begin on Monday, January 7. With the increase in fuel costs that cold weather conditions create, many low-income people are unable to pay their January heating bill and may be facing shut-off. Other families may run out of bulk fuels (Kerosene, coal, wood or propane) much earlier than planned and need assistance with the cost of fuel in order to heat their homes. The Northeast Kentucky Community Action Agency, Inc. will be administering the LIHEAP Crisis Program to help assist those households in need.

A household shall be considered to be in a home heating crisis situation when:

• The household is within four (4) days of running out of fuel if bulk fuel (coal, fuel oil, propane, kerosene, or wood) is the heat source;

• The household has received a past due/disconnect notice if natural gas or electric is the heat source; or

• The household’s home heating costs are included as an undesignated portion of the rent, and the household has received an eviction notice for non-payment of rent.

To be eligible for Crisis assistance, a household must:

• Meet income eligibility (income at or below 130% Federal poverty guideline)

Household size with gross monthly income: 1 - $1,107; 2 - $1, 484; 3 - $1,861; 4 - $2,238; 5 - $2,615; 6 - $2,992; 7 - $3,369; and 8 - $3,746.

• Meet the definition of being in a home heating crisis situations.

Verification of a crisis situation be presented at the time of application. For all bulk fuels (wood, coal, propane, fuel oil, kerosene), verification of a crisis situation may be self-declaration by the applicant. For natural gas and electric heated households, the applicant must present an appropriate disconnect/past due notice. Each applicant must be advised that CAA staff may perform on-site verification on a limited number of households.

LIHESP Crisis application will be taken in the Northeast offices in Boyd ,Elliott, Greenup, Lawrence counties and the Olive Hill and Grayson Northeast offices in Carter County.

For more information call 606-286-4443 in Olive Hill or 606-474-8118 in Grayson.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you