Sept. 25, 2013 —
The congregation was too surprised to react until he dropped a lighted match, igniting the whiskey.
The preacher then was startled when his shirt sleeve caught fire from the booze.
He tried to snuff it out but accidentally tipped the saucer of burning whiskey which quickly cascaded down the front of the pulpit.
Now in a dead panic, he took off his suit coat to smother the flames while church members scattered amid screams and muffled laughter.
As I recall, the young preacher had some minor burns on his hands but his pride suffered the most.
But, to this day, I have remembered his good example. I’ve never set fire to any whiskey.