Oct. 10, 2012 —
By CORBIN MARSHALL
The opening match of the 62nd District Tournament in Grayson welcomed the Lady Raiders of East Carter with a strong win against Elliott County on Monday night.
Cold weather was no issue for East’s girls as they swept away their competition with ease.
Things kicked off quickly with East having a 5–0 lead in the first 40 minutes.
The 16th Region’s defending champion showed they are deserving of their elite stature. Elliott County was defenseless against the attack by East, ultimately resulting in a 10–0 mercy in favor of the girls in blue.
East Carter Head Coach Ben Fritz seemed pleased with the team’s outlook headed into the district championship.
“We have a bit of a long way off before we play again, which is not ideal,” Fritz said. “But that’s the way this tournament is set up. The girls will be ready to play Saturday no matter who we face.”
If you were on the East Carter offense, there was no problem finding the back of the net. Goal scorers for East included Taylor Burnett with a hat trick, Mandy Langstaff with one goal, and Ashleigh Mcdowell, Megan Stickler and Alexa Sturgill with two goals each.
By the tenth and final goal, there was still 23 minutes on the clock that weren’t needed to see a Lady Raider win.
The Lady Raiders will play in the final district match this coming Saturday against the winner of West Carter vs. Greenup County.
Journal-Times will have more 62nd District soccer coverage in next week’s edition of sports.
Oct. 10, 2012 —
By CORBIN MARSHALL
- Local Sports
East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship
The East Carter girls basketball team magical season came to an end Friday night in the 16th Region Championship as Ashland defeated the Lady Raiders 45-41 at Morehead State University.
- Girls 16th Region Championship Gallery The Ashland Kittens will represent the 16th Region at the state tournament for the third straight year as they defeated East Carter 45-41 Friday night at Morehead State University.
Girls 16th Region Semifinals: East Carter moves on to finals
The East Carter Lady Raiders are heading to the 16th Region Championship after defeating Russell 51-38 in the semifinals on Thursday night at Morehead State University.
- 16th Region Semis: East moves to Finals The East Carter Lady Raiders defeated Russell 51-38 Thursday night in the 16th Region Tournament Semifinals. They will play in the Championship Game Friday night at 7 p.m.
- Girls 16th Region First Round: Fleming County vs. West Carter Gallery The Fleming County Lady Panthers faced West Carter in the first round of the 16th Region Tournament.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Ashland, Fleming move on
The 16th Region Semifinals are set as Ashland and Fleming County will meet in Thursday night’s semifinals after winning their opening round games.
- East Carter defeats Rowan in first round of 16th Region Tournament The eighth ranked Lady Raiders hit seven of their eight three-point baskets in the first half to advance to their first Semifinal since the 2009-10 season, defeating Rowan County 55-33.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Russell, East Carter advance
Russell and East Carter will play in the semifinals of the Girls 16th Region Tournament after winning their opening games.
62nd DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
East Carter may be like the proverbial late bloomer, but that’s just fine with the Raiders. They’ve won two or more games consecutively on only three occasions all season. One of those stretches is right now, as East Carter will go into the 16th Region Tournament as 62nd District champions after dropping Elliott County 63-49 on Friday night at Morgan County’s Veterans Memorial Gymnasium.
The scoreboard showed that East Carter won its second straight 62nd District Championship but to Hager Easterling, his team did not play Lady Raider basketball.
- More Local Sports Headlines
- East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship