March 6, 2013 —
1. Fleming County (28-6)
2. Rowan County (20-14)
3. Russell (26-8)
4. Ashland (23-10)
5. Morgan County (22-8)
6. Boyd County (21-12)
7. Lewis County (15-15)
8. West Carter (9-20)
First off, congratulations are in order for the Fleming County Panthers for capturing its first ever 16th Region Championship.
Furthermore, kudos to the Rowan County Vikings for making it back to the title game for the third consecutive year.
After losing the amount of talent they had last year and still proving they are still one of the best teams in the 16th Region is a feat few thought they could reach. Congratulations to all who played in the regional tournament.
1. Ashland (24-6)
2. Boyd County (26-8)
3. Lewis County (18-13)
4. Russell (15-17)
5. East Carter (24-8)
6. Fleming County (19-11)
7. Rowan County (15-15)
8. West Carter (12-18)
Before Monday night’s games in the semifinals of the 16th Region Tournament,
Ashland still controls the top spot after winning its opening round game against Rowan
But Lewis County provided the shocker of the tournament by eliminating East Carter 53-50. So the Lady Lions move up to third in the standings while Boyd County and Russell square off in the other semifinal.
Sadly, this is the last basketball Crazy 8 Rankings. We will be on hiatus for two weeks before the baseball and softball seasons begin.
March 6, 2013 —
- Local Sports
East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship
The East Carter girls basketball team magical season came to an end Friday night in the 16th Region Championship as Ashland defeated the Lady Raiders 45-41 at Morehead State University.
- Girls 16th Region Championship Gallery The Ashland Kittens will represent the 16th Region at the state tournament for the third straight year as they defeated East Carter 45-41 Friday night at Morehead State University.
Girls 16th Region Semifinals: East Carter moves on to finals
The East Carter Lady Raiders are heading to the 16th Region Championship after defeating Russell 51-38 in the semifinals on Thursday night at Morehead State University.
- 16th Region Semis: East moves to Finals The East Carter Lady Raiders defeated Russell 51-38 Thursday night in the 16th Region Tournament Semifinals. They will play in the Championship Game Friday night at 7 p.m.
- Girls 16th Region First Round: Fleming County vs. West Carter Gallery The Fleming County Lady Panthers faced West Carter in the first round of the 16th Region Tournament.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Ashland, Fleming move on
The 16th Region Semifinals are set as Ashland and Fleming County will meet in Thursday night’s semifinals after winning their opening round games.
- East Carter defeats Rowan in first round of 16th Region Tournament The eighth ranked Lady Raiders hit seven of their eight three-point baskets in the first half to advance to their first Semifinal since the 2009-10 season, defeating Rowan County 55-33.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Russell, East Carter advance
Russell and East Carter will play in the semifinals of the Girls 16th Region Tournament after winning their opening games.
62nd DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
East Carter may be like the proverbial late bloomer, but that’s just fine with the Raiders. They’ve won two or more games consecutively on only three occasions all season. One of those stretches is right now, as East Carter will go into the 16th Region Tournament as 62nd District champions after dropping Elliott County 63-49 on Friday night at Morgan County’s Veterans Memorial Gymnasium.
The scoreboard showed that East Carter won its second straight 62nd District Championship but to Hager Easterling, his team did not play Lady Raider basketball.
- More Local Sports Headlines
- East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship