May 15, 2013 —
1. Lewis County (25-8)
2. Ashland (20-9)
3. Greenup County (18-11)
4. Bath County (17-7)
5. Boyd County (17-15)
6. Rowan County (15-15)
7. Russell (17-13)
8. East Carter (15-15)
To quote the great band Creedence Clearwater Revival, “I want to know, have you ever seen the rain? Comin’ down on a sunny day.”
That was the theme last week with the rain washing out a lot of games. But the forecast this week calls for plenty of sunshine for the last week of the regular season.
Lewis County isn’t letting it rain on their parade as they have won 11 straight contests to take the top spot in the Crazy 8. They knocked off Boyd County, West Carter and Pendleton County twice in a doubleheader. Rowan County continued its streak by taking two of three in the Frank Bloom Memorial over the weekend with wins over Russell and Fairview.
1. Ashland (19-9)
2. Boyd County (21-10)
3. Rowan County (20-12)
4. Greenup County (17-14)
5. Fairview (15-13)
6. East Carter (19-11)
7. Russell (12-13)
8. Raceland (18-12)
Softball games across the region took most of the hit because of the rain as just a handful of teams got just one or two games in. There is not a lot of change in the Crazy 8.
Greenup County is probably playing its best softball right now, winning games over West Carter and Boyd County. Rowan, who had games scheduled for last week, got cancelled but they will make up for it this week with four games on the schedule.
May 15, 2013 —
- Local Sports
East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship
The East Carter girls basketball team magical season came to an end Friday night in the 16th Region Championship as Ashland defeated the Lady Raiders 45-41 at Morehead State University.
- Girls 16th Region Championship Gallery The Ashland Kittens will represent the 16th Region at the state tournament for the third straight year as they defeated East Carter 45-41 Friday night at Morehead State University.
Girls 16th Region Semifinals: East Carter moves on to finals
The East Carter Lady Raiders are heading to the 16th Region Championship after defeating Russell 51-38 in the semifinals on Thursday night at Morehead State University.
- 16th Region Semis: East moves to Finals The East Carter Lady Raiders defeated Russell 51-38 Thursday night in the 16th Region Tournament Semifinals. They will play in the Championship Game Friday night at 7 p.m.
- Girls 16th Region First Round: Fleming County vs. West Carter Gallery The Fleming County Lady Panthers faced West Carter in the first round of the 16th Region Tournament.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Ashland, Fleming move on
The 16th Region Semifinals are set as Ashland and Fleming County will meet in Thursday night’s semifinals after winning their opening round games.
- East Carter defeats Rowan in first round of 16th Region Tournament The eighth ranked Lady Raiders hit seven of their eight three-point baskets in the first half to advance to their first Semifinal since the 2009-10 season, defeating Rowan County 55-33.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Russell, East Carter advance
Russell and East Carter will play in the semifinals of the Girls 16th Region Tournament after winning their opening games.
62nd DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
East Carter may be like the proverbial late bloomer, but that’s just fine with the Raiders. They’ve won two or more games consecutively on only three occasions all season. One of those stretches is right now, as East Carter will go into the 16th Region Tournament as 62nd District champions after dropping Elliott County 63-49 on Friday night at Morgan County’s Veterans Memorial Gymnasium.
The scoreboard showed that East Carter won its second straight 62nd District Championship but to Hager Easterling, his team did not play Lady Raider basketball.
- More Local Sports Headlines
- East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship