Feb. 20, 2013 —
1. Fleming County (24-6)
2. Russell (24-7)
3. Ashland (20-9)
4. Boyd County (20-10)
5. Morgan County (21-7)
6. Rowan County (17-12)
7. Lewis County (14-13)
8. Elliott County (13-14)
The beauty of this week is that the postseason makes everyone 0-0. But I can’t mistake the fact that Russell swept Ashland in the regular season and can go into the postseason winning 14 of their last 16. Fleming, Russell and Morgan County have all punched their ticket to the 16th Region Tournament with victories on Monday night.
Rowan County won three games last week including a 113-110 double overtime victory over Augusta. The district tournaments will be fun to watch.
1. Ashland (21-6)
2. Boyd County 24-7)
3. East Carter (22-7)
4. Lewis County (16-11)
5. Fleming County (17-10)
6. Menifee County (13-10)
7. Bath County (15-10)
8. Rowan County (14-13)
Well, it seems the 61st District tournament is going to be a lot of fun with all four teams in the Crazy 8’s.
Rowan faces off with Bath while Fleming clashes with Menifee.
East Carter takes a tumble after falling to Ashland and Boyd County. Both take the top spots in this week’s rankings. Ashland, Boyd and Russell also secured their spots in the 16th Region Tournaments with victories on Monday.
Fleming County is one of the hottest teams in the 16th Region right now with only two losses since Jan. 21.
Good luck to every team as they play in their respective district tournaments!
Feb. 20, 2013 —
- Local Sports
East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship
The East Carter girls basketball team magical season came to an end Friday night in the 16th Region Championship as Ashland defeated the Lady Raiders 45-41 at Morehead State University.
- Girls 16th Region Championship Gallery The Ashland Kittens will represent the 16th Region at the state tournament for the third straight year as they defeated East Carter 45-41 Friday night at Morehead State University.
Girls 16th Region Semifinals: East Carter moves on to finals
The East Carter Lady Raiders are heading to the 16th Region Championship after defeating Russell 51-38 in the semifinals on Thursday night at Morehead State University.
- 16th Region Semis: East moves to Finals The East Carter Lady Raiders defeated Russell 51-38 Thursday night in the 16th Region Tournament Semifinals. They will play in the Championship Game Friday night at 7 p.m.
- Girls 16th Region First Round: Fleming County vs. West Carter Gallery The Fleming County Lady Panthers faced West Carter in the first round of the 16th Region Tournament.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Ashland, Fleming move on
The 16th Region Semifinals are set as Ashland and Fleming County will meet in Thursday night’s semifinals after winning their opening round games.
- East Carter defeats Rowan in first round of 16th Region Tournament The eighth ranked Lady Raiders hit seven of their eight three-point baskets in the first half to advance to their first Semifinal since the 2009-10 season, defeating Rowan County 55-33.
Girls 16th Region First Round: Russell, East Carter advance
Russell and East Carter will play in the semifinals of the Girls 16th Region Tournament after winning their opening games.
62nd DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
East Carter may be like the proverbial late bloomer, but that’s just fine with the Raiders. They’ve won two or more games consecutively on only three occasions all season. One of those stretches is right now, as East Carter will go into the 16th Region Tournament as 62nd District champions after dropping Elliott County 63-49 on Friday night at Morgan County’s Veterans Memorial Gymnasium.
The scoreboard showed that East Carter won its second straight 62nd District Championship but to Hager Easterling, his team did not play Lady Raider basketball.
- More Local Sports Headlines
- East Carter’s season ends in Regional Championship