Journal-Times (Grayson, KY)

May 15, 2013

Holbrook pleads not guilty to murder

By Leeann Akers - Editor

May 15, 2013 — The man accused in the April 2011 murder of a 19-year-old Olive Hill resident whose body was found in an Elliott County farm pond made his first court appearance on Monday.

Kyle Holbrook, 20, of Olive Hill, pleaded not guilty to murder and tampering with physical evidence charges Monday.

Holbrook did not speak during the proceedings but his attorney, Jeff Scott, submitted a motion for bond to be set.

Commonwealth Attorney Brandon Ison presented Scott with discovery documents, but no plea agreement was offered.

Judge Rebecca Phillips overruled the bond request, stating that Holbrook faces charges for a capital offense.

A bond hearing and pretrial conference will be held July 8 at 2 p.m.

About 20 friends and family members of the victim came to the arraignment, all wearing shirts depicting the title character from the Disney/Pixar film “Finding Nemo.”

“We have a great detective working on the case and I am really pleased with how things went today,” James Carroll said. “The Judge made a good decision with the bond and we were glad to hear it.”

Bryant made his home with Carroll and his late wife, Pam, who was killed in a automobile accident in October.

Holbrook was indicted in April by an Elliott County grand jury.

He was arrested by Kentucky State Police Det. Toby Gardner while incarcerated at the Rowan County Detention Center on drug trafficking charges.

Holbrook was indicted in March for three counts of trafficking in a controlled substance within 1,000 feet of a school between Jan. 11 and March 8 in Rowan County.

The investigation was part of a KSP special investigation and it is unknown if Holbrook's suspicion in Bryant's death led to the drug charges.

The murder investigation began when Bryant’s body was recovered April 3, 2011, from a farm pond located on the Holbrook family's property after an extensive missing person search.

Police confirmed that Bryant had last been seen at the Holbrook family home before he was reported missing.

An autopsy revealed that he had died as the result of multiple gunshot wounds before being dumped into the pond.

No weapon has been recovered in the case and the type of firearm used is unknown.

Holbrook is being held in the Big Sandy Regional Detention Center.

Leeann Akers can be reached at or by phone at 474-5101.