Journal-Times (Grayson, KY)

June 12, 2013

Now that Grayson is ‘wet’…


June 12, 2013 — If you’re wondering how soon you can buy a legal alcoholic drink in the City of Grayson, don’t be too anxious.

First, the city must remain dry for 60 days from the time the election results are certified to the county judge-executive.

That period of time is intended to allow the City Council time to draft and approve city ordinances that create local ABC licenses and fees, create the office of a local ABC administrator and provide for certain local rules and enforcement.

In other words, the Council will decide what types of establishments will be permitted to sell alcohol, their hours of operation and other details, such as whether or not to permit Sunday sales.

The Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) is responsible for regulating legal alcohol. Its website is

When the city’s ordinances are near completion, state ABC will place an advertisement in the Journal-Times to advise the public that applications can now be filed and of the available number of quota licenses for retail package liquor stores and liquor by-the-drink licenses.

Such licenses are based on the city’s population. Other licenses to sell beer and wine are not tied to population.

Locations of proposed licenses must be inspected and applicants are subject to background checks.