April 23, 2014 — The Carter County Board of Education Monday discussed transportation policies and ongoing construction issues.
Kentucky Education Association representative Mark Rogers addressed the board regarding the district’s transportation guidelines.
Rogers asked the board to instruct the district’s administration to draft an official transportation policy to govern how bus routes and extra-curricular trips are divvied.
“Right now, the field trips and sports runs are being preferentially given to employees who, in many cases, already have put in 40 hours for the week while other drivers who would like more hours aren’t even being considered,” he added.
“We don’t have a person in place who schedules those runs,” said Supt. Ronnie Dotson. “It’s up to the particular coaches to get their own drivers and they usually just pick the same ones.”
“It seems you’re just looking for something that is fair for everyone,” said board member Lisa Ramey-Easterling.
The board took no official action but indicated it would investigate the issue further and take appropriate action.
Discussion then turned to a series of change orders for the new concession building at East Carter High School.
Board member Randy Steagall took issue with one change order in particular—a $9,000 bill for removal of a 12-inch slab of concrete that was uncovered during the excavation process.
“Our entire demolition estimate for the building was $10,000, so it seems like an extra $9,000 is a bit excessive to remove one slab of concrete,” said Steagall.
The work has already been performed, however, because of the stringent time line for completion of the building.
“Our main directive from you was to have this building finished by May. That’s why the contractor went ahead and removed the slab, although I was not made aware of the actual cost for the work until last week,” said Bob Summerfeldt, lead architect for the project.