IMG_1602.jpg

Grayson firefighters made sure fire had not spread to the ceiling of McDonald's Monday evening. The restaurant will be closed for at least a week.

A kitchen fire shut down a local fast food restaurant late Monday.

A leaking gas line connected to a deep fryer caught fire in the Grayson McDonald's, filling the restaurant with smoke. 

Grayson firefighters responded to the blaze, which was contained in part by the building’s sprinkler system. 

Manager Theresa Hutchinson tried to extinguish the blaze with fire extinguishers but was unsuccessful. 

She and four others were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation but were released Monday night. 

Firefighters went inside and contained the blaze with water while outside crews cut off the flow of gas to the building.

The restaurant is closed and will remain so until repairs are made and all the food inside has been replaced.

Emily Duke, a spokesperson with Moroch, McDonald's advertising agency, said the building sustained considerable water damage.

“We expect the cleaning and restocking process to take about one week,” Duke said. “Everyone followed the proper safety precautions and procedures with putting out the fire and evacuating the building. We’re very glad that everyone is safe.”

Health inspectors were on the scene Tuesday morning and food could be restocked after the freezers and coolers had been tested.

McDonald’s in Grayson and Olive Hill were started by Sam Perry, now retired. The properties are managed by his daughter, Nicole Topper, and her husband, Vic.

This Week's Circulars